Guru Hargobind (1595-1644)
- Transformed the Sikhs by introducing martial arts and weapons for the defense of the masses.
- Guru Hargobind put on two swords - one signifying miri (secular power) and other piri (spiritual power).
- Built the Akal Takht in 1608 at Amritsar in Punjab.
- He was imprisoned in the fort of Gwaliar for one year. When he was released he insisted that his 52 fellow prisoners, who were Rajput kings, should also be set free. To mark this occasion the Sikhs celebrate Diwali (bandi chod divas).
- Fought four battles with the Mughal rulers which were forcing people to become Muslims.